11.21.2008

Today's Thoughts....

When I read this devotion this morning from Living Today from the Living Bible, I felt it to be so appropriate for feeling overwhelmed as I'm tempted to feel right now with the holidays rushing toward us like a freight train.  I know I am not the only one feeling this way, so I share....


The punishment you gave me was the best thing that could have happened to me, for it taught me to pay attention to your laws. --Psalm 119:71

Even though Jesus was God's Son, He had to learn from experience what it was like to obey when obeying meant suffering.   If we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.  Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will give us later. (My favorite reminder!) Is your life full of difficulties and temptations?  Then be happy, for when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, and don't  try to squirm out of your problems.

He knows every detail of what is happening to me; and when he has examined me, he will pronounce me completely innocent---as pure as solid gold!  I have stayed in God's paths, following his steps, I have not turned aside.

Do you remember how the Lord led you through the wilderness for all those forty years, humbling you and testing you to find out how you would respond, whether or not you would really obey him?  So you should realize that, as a man punishes his son, the lord punishes you to help you.  Obey the laws of the Lord your God.  Walk in his ways and fear him.