6.27.2008

Remembering Julie


Yesterday on my birthday, I finally got to talk to my twin to share a loud "Happy Birthday!"when I answered my cell phone.  I was answered with a "Oh, Carole" full of sobbing. It scared me to death.  My poor sister was learning of yet another loss of a friend, Julie Steiskal.  

I just want share this story with you--not as a downer to your day, but just to let it be a gentle reminder about how fragile and wonderful life is, and that it can be taken out of nowhere at anytime.  Let's all be thankful and feel blessed....

Julie was a fellow photographer in Claire's area. I remember Claire calling and telling me of another really neat friend she had made--a sweet, outdoorsy, Christian girl who shared so much in common with Claire. They had been trying to get together for lunch just recently, but Julie had a mission trip to go on with the youth in her church. This is where the story turns tragic...read the article....


Two years ago at this time, Claire and I shared our birthday with a precious lady in St. Paul, Minnesota, Pauline, who Claire had befriended a year or so prior to this time.  She was battling breast cancer and wanted Claire to document her journey through photography.  Claire did--the most beautiful photos!  Pauline was such an inspiration with her bravery in dealing with her cancer.  As we spent our birthday with Pauline 2 years ago--as she shared the exact same birthday as us--June 26--we prayed together a most powerful prayer of God's will be done. Pauline passed about a week later.  What a blessing she was to us both!

Just earlier this year, Claire came home to Alabama with sad news and an obituary pulled from her paper at home.  Her friend Annie who Claire had befriended right after moving to St. Paul, had committed suicide after battling bipolar disease, leaving behind a precious 10 year old son.

If you read the article linked above about Julie, you see that she died trying to save one of her youth.  Please be in prayer for both of those families who are suffering so much right now.  I ask that you also pray for my sister who is struggling as well...

Be blessed, and know that God loves you right here and right now and for always.